Tuesday, April 28, 2009

bell jar numero 2

Just finished, and i thought that it was awful. I disliked just about everything about this book at the end. I think I would have been a little happier if she ended up dying in the end. It dramatically undermines her problems, now that she ended up not killing herself. I didn't think that her problems were so immense to begin with, because I think she brought on most of the depression on herself. but, still, this makes it seem less dramatic and to me, it was a weak ending to an unexciting book. Esther undergoes electric shock therapy to help treat her depression. When Esther's mother visits her in the asylum, it sparks a crazed sensation inside Esther and she is nervous and has an episode. Ironically, after trying for years to finally have sex with someone, Esther ends up having a hemmorage. I couldn't even feel bad for her after this.. i kind of just laughed. Esther beats her suicidal rage, and her friend Joan is the one who dies. I think that Sylvia Path, wants to be able to beat her depression and end up okay with everything that she has been through, but she ends up killing herself after writing the book. The symbol of the title of the book is one that I find interesting. A bell jar is defined as "an environment in which someone is protected or cut off from the outside world." This relates to Esther because she is protected by the bell jar, but the 'glass' might break and she might slip into the depression again even after she seemed like she is on the road to recovery. I feel like I should be able to find more meaning in the story, but to me it seems like a big mess.
4 down. 1 to go.
i<3bigboy

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you on the book. I really thought the book was bad. I'm glad you mentioned the bell jar significance because I was still trying to figure out what it really meant. At first I thought that the title was somewhat related to the babies that were dead in the jars at the hospital but now I see that doesn't make much sense. Thanks for mentioning that. And as horrible as this is, the ending might have been better if Esther did commit suicide. It would give the book some type of an ending and would take Esther out of her problems. I mean that in the nicest way possible too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I pretty much agree that the plot of this bok was lousy, but I thought it was bearable. I also found the whole concept of the bell jar metaphor pretty interesting. It was a bit annoying that it was only mentioned toward the end, and it wasn't really a constant motif. Yea, I also didn't really see all that much meaning in this book besides someone struggling with depression. I mean, thats a hard life, but when everything presents itself for you like it did at the beginning for her, I don't see how that should be complaining. One more to go!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Rutgers Stadium

Rutgers Stadium

Michigan Wolverines

Michigan Wolverines

Endy Chavez

Endy Chavez
"The Catch"

Helmet Catch

Helmet Catch

Michigan Go Blue

Michigan Go Blue

Jets

Jets

North Carolina

North Carolina