Tuesday, March 31, 2009

mango street numero dos

After finishing The House on Mango Street, I realized that the simplification of Esperanza's life experiences made the book logical and a good tale of growing up. I liked the way the book ended, and thought that the 'full circle' finish was a good, conclusive one. Esperanza initially hates her life on mango street, even though she acknowledges that her house is definitely of higher class that her previous one. To me, Esperanza at the beginning of the novel represented a girl who longed to be free from her current life, and thought she did not belong on Mango Street. At the end of the novel, she realizes that even though her childhood experiences forced he into denial about liking Mango Street, she understands that she truly does belong there and that there is a significant part in her that will never truly leave.
Esperanza has a large difficulty growing up and finding her true identity. The idea of Esperanza's name is a largely important idea in the story. She does not like the idea of her name, and believes that it does not stress her true nature. It was the name she inhereted from a relative, and she does not like her future to be associated or decided by the future of her relative. "And the story goes she never forgave him. She looked out the winder her whole life, the way so many women sit their sadness on an elbow. I wonder if she made the best with what she got or was she sorry because she couldn't be all the things she wanted to be. Esperanza. I have inherited her name, but I don't want to inherit her place by the window" (11). She would prefer a much stranger name that is more different from others, showing who she truly was, and setting her independently aside from others.
Another major idea in the story is the escape that Esperanza finds through her writing. She experiences many hardships that she is able to overcome, and learn from because writing is an outlet of hers. Growing up, she is abused by boys, but this one, along with many others contribute to the many life experiences that make up Esperanza's character. Another quote I like denotes how esperanza understands that her experiences on Mango Street will always stay with her and that she cannot leave them behind because they will always have a place with her. "I put it down on paper and then the ghost does not ache so much. I write it down and Mango says goodbye sometimes. She does not hold me with both arms. She sets me free. One day I will pack my bags of books and paper. One day I will say goodbye to Mango. I am too strong for her to keep me here forever. One day I will go away."
Overall I enjoyed the book to some extent and appreciate the message it tries to get across, even if it was not the most challenging or intriguing read.

im a soldier, a rider, a ghetto survivor, and all the abovee
inspired by big boy, forever
droze

2 comments:

  1. Dan
    I agree with the different things you said about Esperanza, especially how her name is crucial and she has difficulties growing up. There are several sections where Esperanza runs into a mature situation doesn't know how to act or respond. Also her name is mentioned often throughout the novel. Personally, I feel like Esperanza would like her name but the fact that she inherited it form her grandmother and how her grandmother was stuck in the house all day staring out the window depresses Esperanza and makes her not have a positive look for her future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yea Droze do your thing and I agree

    ReplyDelete

Rutgers Stadium

Rutgers Stadium

Michigan Wolverines

Michigan Wolverines

Endy Chavez

Endy Chavez
"The Catch"

Helmet Catch

Helmet Catch

Michigan Go Blue

Michigan Go Blue

Jets

Jets

North Carolina

North Carolina